I woke up this morning in a cold sweat. I have been coasting through the days thinking that I had plenty of time to prepare for Thanksgiving, and then all of a sudden life hit rewind. How is it that we are already at the end of November?! Where did the year go?! I have to do better with my planning next year, but in the meantime I had to figure out what the hell I was going to make for Thanksgiving dessert this year!
My panicking was calmed by the smooth crooning voice of Harry Conic Jr on the television. His guest of the day was a chef and she was making galettes. "That's It!" I thought. I could still wow my guests by making some delicious galettes and they would have no clue that it was all done last minute!
What is a galette? You may ask. Well, in short it is the easiest dessert in the world. Think of an open face pie. You literally throw fruit on a crust and bake it. I made my apple galette with a measly five ingredients. The best thing about a galette? You can use any fruit you choose! This dessert leaves so much room for you to get creative and have fun. Check out my recipe below!
Prep Time: 25min
Cook Time: 35min
Total Time: 1 Hour
Yield: 1 Galette (Serves 6-8)
4-5 Apples (I used Granny Smith)
Brown Sugar (Light or Dark)
Almond Paste (Optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350° F.
2. Wash Apples. Slice to a thickness of your liking. Set aside.
3. Flatten piecrust by rolling with a rolling pin. A galette can be any shape so get creative!
(TIP: Flour both your surface and your rolling pin to prevent sticking!)
4. (Optional) Flatten almond paste. Place on center of pie crust leaving 1 inch around the perimeter.
5. Arrange apple slices on pie crust leaving 1 inch around the perimeter to allow for folding.
6. Combine 3tbs white sugar and 3tbs brown sugar. Sprinkle generously over apples.
7. Fold the perimeter of the pie crust inward towards the center.
8. (Optional) Create egg wash by combining one egg and one tbs water or milk. Brush mixture onto the folded edge using a pastry brush.
9. Place galette into oven. Allow to bake for 30-35 minutes or until crust is golden brown.
10. Remove from oven. Allow to cool.